The other day, I was in an Instagram rabbit hole, where I stumbled upon a fellow sewing instagramer who had made the cutest summer dress. It was just the garment I was craving to fill my closet. The photo is tagged as a “SOIBetty”, so I did what any reasonable person would do and binge watched the Sew Over It You Tube channel. I feel a little late to the Sew Over It Party. I did not know what I was missing! After watching video after video of Lisa Comfort do everything from introducing her new patterns, to walking to work, I decided this little lady was so adorable I had to try one of her creations.
I downloaded the .pdf Sew Over It Betty dress and put the pattern together as soon as my two children, Queen B and Little Coyote, would allow. I cut out the what I would call the size 11. I was between the size 10 and the size 12. At the first muslin fitting, I made my standard fitting updates to the bodice. I usually have to narrow the shoulder, shorten the front armhole, adjust for a fuller bust and length the front body. I also took off about 7 inches from the skirt. These are all standard updates for my body shape.
I made one additional change to the pattern, by adding a cut seam at center front of the skirt. I chose one of the Rifle Paper Co. fabrics with a subtle directional print. Due to the circumference of skirt the layout would have had the flowers growing sideways at center front. I typically don’t read the instructions, but as I was waiting for the pattern to print, I gave them a read through. They were all very clear and the pictures were detailed. I loved working with this pattern. With the basic body fit changes I made, it fit very well. It is also a lot of fun to wear. I feel feminine, summery and fun.
The fabric I chose for this make is Cotton + Steel Rifle Paper Co Amalfi Herb Garden Navy. At the time of writing this, there is still some more available. In the description, the fabric says that it is a “navy”, but I see a lot more green in it than you would see in a true navy.
I decided to do an underlining in a basic cotton muslin. I like the feeling that an underlining gives a garment. It just makes the body feel more substantial and durable. I did not line the bodice, but instead finished it with the facings included in the pattern. Since I was not lining the garment I added a large facing to the hem. Since the skirt is so full, there is a lot more opportunity to see in inside of the skirt as I walk or even just sit. This gave it a much cleaner look and added a fun, secret pop of color.
This dress is a little different than most that I have made or purchased, but I love it. I can see myself wearing it summer after summer.